The House of Hope is a prominent dungeon found in Act 3 of Baldur’s Gate 3. This extensive guide provided by Gamespot delves into the intricacies of this dungeon, outlining what players can anticipate within, as well as the characters they can form allegiances with throughout their journey. Note that this article contains spoilers.
Navigating the House of Hope in Baldur’s Gate 3
Situated in Avernus, the House of Hope belongs to Raphael. To gain access, you must complete the Helsik Ritual within the Devil’s Fee in the Lower City. It’s important to remember that returning to your camp using fast travel isn’t an option; the portal must be utilized again to return to the shop. For this reason, thorough preparation is advised. It’s suggested to bring along spellcasters or scrolls capable of casting spells like Greater Invisibility, Hunger of Hadar, and various radiant magic spells.
The Baldur’s Gate 3 House of Hope is the dwelling place of Hope, a character ensnared by Raphael’s manipulations. Liberation comes after obtaining the Orphic Hammer, allowing you to free her. Initially, engage in dialogue checks to pose a series of questions. Hope’s magic will also alter your attire to match that of debtors, individuals led to the hells due to their pacts with devils. This disguise prevents NPCs from attacking you.
Exploring the House of Hope
The House of Hope possesses an eerie yet captivating ambiance. During exploration, you’ll come across the following:
- On your right, a portal chamber leading to multiple realms. Although not a passage to Neverwinter, it’s a nod to the devils’ ability to traverse.
- The hatch near the portal chamber entrance leads to Hope’s confinement. Liberating her necessitates the Orphic Hammer, rendering immediate action impossible.
- Progressing through the Mystic Force Curtain isn’t feasible at this point, so it’s best to postpone concerns.
- An Inert Infernal Gem adorns a wall. Successfully passing Wisdom and Intelligence checks unveils a concealed room. Inside, the Helldusk Helmet and Staff of Spellpower (both very rare), along with Mol’s Contract, await.
- Note: If you accepted Raphael’s offer in “Deal With the Devil,” it’s yet to be confirmed whether this same hidden room houses Tav’s Contract. Our narrative didn’t pursue the outcome stemming from that decision.
The Archive and the Orphic Hammer
Upon reaching the western segment of the Baldur’s Gate 3 House of Hope dungeon, Hope imparts knowledge about the Archivist. Skill checks can provide insight that the Archivist fears Verillius Receptor, an inquisitor serving Zariel. This insight presents an option to pose as the inquisitor, sparing you from the Archivist’s interference.
In this area, you’ll also encounter three items:
- Orphic Hammer (legendary) – Inflicting 4-13 damage; conferring advantage on spell-saving throws; a +3 weapon enchantment; and the Unshackling Strike action. Acquiring this item requires strategic planning, which will be explained shortly.
- Amulet of Greater Health (very rare) – Elevates Constitution to 23; grants advantage on Constitution saving throws.
- Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength (very rare) – Raises Strength to 23; offers +1 Strength saving throws. Those who made a pact with Helsik will recognize this as the sought-after item.
Delay acquiring items here due to the ensuing chaos when hostilities commence.
Haarlep and the Boudoir
The Archivist bestows an invitation to the Boudoir, enabling passage through the Mystic Force Curtain. Within, a pool facilitates complete restoration of HP, spell slots, and charges—similar to a long rest. Encounter Haarlep, an incubus akin to a pseudo Raphael romance.
For comprehensive outcomes, including potential fatalities, reference the linked guide. Briefly:
- Haarlep can adopt your physical form but not your mind. The safe’s location is revealed, and the key is provided.
- Alternatively, resisting Haarlep leads to combat, joined by imps. Subsequently, access to the safe’s key becomes feasible.
- Surrendering your heart and soul to Haarlep results in unfavorable consequences.
Opening the safe and reviewing its contents furnishes the words essential for interacting with the Baldur’s Gate 3 Orphic Hammer. The ensuing steps are as follows:
- Before acquiring the Orphic Hammer, cast Greater Invisibility on one character, then procure the Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength and Amulet of Greater Health.
- Engage with the Orphic Hammer, responding with the phrase: “Give me my heart’s desire.”
Subsequent to this, cloak your party members in Greater Invisibility before moving to the eastern side. This prevents adversaries, including a boulder reminiscent of “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” from hindering progress.
To liberate Hope in Baldur’s Gate 3, descend into the prison through the hatch. For optimal concealment, ungroup your party members and control them individually. The process involves:
- Dismantling the shackles restraining Hope by striking the two crystals with the Orphic Hammer.
- Guardians of these crystals are Observers, resembling Beholder creatures. Oddly, imps by their side pose greater peril due to their Eldritch Blast ability. The latter can propel units to their doom.
- Characters with high mobility or superior Illithid Powers can utilize Fly/Misty Step to reach one crystal. Employ stunning tactics, summons, and spellcasters to eliminate imps while incapacitating one Beholder.
- Subsequent to dealing with hostiles, destroy the crystals.
Boss Fight: Overcoming Raphael
After freeing Hope, make your way to the entrance chamber, bypassing adversaries. Ensure your entire party is present prior to activating the portal, prompting Raphael’s arrival.
Yurgir, the Orthon from the Gauntlet of Shar, flanks Raphael. A DC30 Persuasion check can persuade Yurgir to betray Raphael.
For the Baldur’s Gate 3 Raphael boss fight:
- Safeguard a few backup saves. Raphael commences with 666 HP and is remarkably evasive (approximately 10% hit likelihood or lower). He draws strength from four Soul Pillars situated in the room’s corners. Korilla and cambions stand by his side.
Strategies employed during our playthrough include:
- Eliminating the Soul Pillars, with radiant magic proving most effective.
- Employing the Black Hole Illithid spell to gather foes, followed by concentrated AoE magic assaults.
- Harnessing Hope’s Cleric spells for healing.
- Maintaining a debuff on Raphael via Hunger of Hadar, supplemented by spells, radiant damage, and ranged attacks.
Triumph against Raphael yields the following spoils:
- Helldusk Armor – Claimed from Raphael’s remains, this armor boasts 21 AC and bestows wearer proficiency; successful saving throws afflict attackers with burning for three turns; fire damage resistance/immunity to burning; 3-point damage reduction from all sources; Fly spell.
- Gloves of Soul Catching – Liberating Hope from imprisonment earns this reward. Unarmed attacks deal 1-10 force damage; restores 10 HP per unarmed hit per turn; forego healing to gain advantage for the subsequent attack roll or saving throw; +2 Constitution (up to 20).
- Assemble Allies: Yurgir – The Orthon’s presence bolsters the final showdown; a genuinely Rated RKO experience.
This concludes our comprehensive overview of the Baldur’s Gate 3 House of Hope dungeon. As you depart, remember to fulfill commitments like delivering the Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength to Helsik (assuming an earlier pact).